How do I get started?
- Install Umikaze on the BeagleBone Black or Revolve.
- Connect to the device Connecting.
- Adjust the Redeem_settings for your 3D printer.
Basic Information, Nomenclature, and Assumptions
- For the purposes of documentation, it is assumed that the origin (0,0,0) is at the front left of the print bed for Cartesian and CoreXY Printers. Typically, it is either front left, or rear right. If it is rear right, you can just picture turning the printer 180 degrees and that will put it in the proper orientation.
- On a Delta printer, origin is in the center of the bed. Home position is at the top, near the endstops.
- Location of endstops does not mean that your origin is there. It is possible to home to X_Min and Y_Max or even X_Max and Y_Max. If in doubt, assume front left on a non-Delta printer, center on a Delta, and then print the Left/Right Orientation Test Part. This part should print LEFT RIGHT and show if you have your orientation correct.
- In OctoPrint, on the Control tab, there are a set of arrows that control the print head. These move the print head as if the print bed were stationary. On the X/Y section, the Up Arrow will move the print head away from the origin, towards the back of the printer. Right Arrow will move the print head to the right, away from origin. In the Z section, the Up Arrow will move the head up away from the print bed.
- Remember, all movements are as if the print bed is stationary!!
- End stops: Minimum is at the 0 of that axis. If you home to an end stop at the maximum end of the axis, you need to set an offset in your Redeem local.cfg so the system knows how far to back off from the end stop to reach 0. This is not needed if you home to the Minimum end of the axis
offset_y = 0.15 #Remember, these measurements are in meters
- Configuration file precedence: The system will check for a local.cfg file first and check if the value it needs is in that file. If it doesn't find it there, it will check for a printer.cfg file. Failing that, it will check the default.cfg file. It is strongly recommended that you make any needed changes in the appropriate local.cfg file, as that file does not get overwritten when the software is upgraded. Any changes made to printer.cfg or default.cfg may be lost when the software is updated. This applies to both Redeem and Toggle
- Configuration file format: You do need the appropriate section headers (in brackets) when you add config options.
[Geometry] axis_config = 2 travel_x = 0.35 travel_y = 0.25 travel_z = 0.4
- Recommended order of setup: Make sure your axis movements are in the correct direction first. It does no good to set up your endstops and homing if your Y axis is moving the wrong way. Remember, all movements are in relation to a stationary print bed, so if you have a print bed that moves downward (such as a CoreXY design), clicking the Z Up arrow will move the bed DOWN.